Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Universal Grill

Universal Grill 1071 Shaw St (at Dupont) 416 588 5928

It was my grandson’s birthday. I wanted it to be delicious food, charming atmosphere and distinctive. Universal Grill is a superb restaurant. It was a former old diner situated in a in a quiet neighborhood. I remember well when Universal Grill first opened. I was the first to doubt that it could succeed in this quiet part of Dupont St so far from all the ‘classy restaurants’. How wrong I was. Universal Grill has been crowded since the day it opened. It is currently open for dinner Tuesday to Saturday. Saturday and Sunday a superb brunch is offered. A reservation is a must because the place is so small.

I love the dark tin ceiling. The dark green walls and the long bar with tools reminds me of what it once looked like. At the same time it is upbeat with new touches. The black refrigerator at the end of the bar is a real conversation piece. A picture of the original diner is posted over the bar. This is not a large restaurant. There are about 7 tables and a few stools at the bar.

The best part is the tempting menu and outstanding food. They are most noted for their ribs and have won awards for this tasty dish.

Three of the guests opted for the Ribs. They shared 2 orders of Original Ribs.($25.00) They are slow stewed and served with a BBQ sauce. The yam frites were really enjoyed. The Rajah Dry Ribs are prepared with a spicy dry rub.($25.00) The portions were very generous and the ribs were declared to be a winner.

I ordered the Special Linguini with various types of mushrooms, red pepper and rapini. The goats cheese added to the wonderful flavor.($18.00) I was tempted with the Oven Baked Rigatoni with eggplant, rapini, peppers, mushrooms, roasted garlic and Asiago cheese. Sounds so delicious.

We asked our server for the most favorite choices. After the ribs the Rosemary Roast Chicken is the choice.($!9.00) It is served with serious gravy ands scalloped potatoes.

On a past visit I enjoyed the Crispy Polenta.($10.00) It is prepared with mushrooms, roasted tomatoes, capers, olives and goat cheese.($10.00) I also can recommend the Warm Portobello Salad with spinach and shaved Parmesan.($9.00)

The Tortilla Spring Rolls are served with a sweet and hot mango dipping sauce.($8.00)

I have enjoyed 2 appetizers as a dinner choice. I have shared appetizers and then enjoyed an entrée. No matter how you choose the items from the menu you are guaranteed a feast.

Nobody had room for dessert but it was a birthday celebration and I insisted we try something from the menu. The Warm Chocolate Brownie was the winner. Oh my goodness! It was the best. It was like eating warm chocolate sauce with ice cream. We all loved it.

What a magnificent dinner!. It always is when I dine here. What a lovely place to celebrate my grandson’s birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment