Wednesday, December 22, 2010

I, Don Giovanni

I, Don Giovanni

The TIFF Bell Lightbox never fails. The films are consistently the best in the city. I never read a review before going and I have not once been disappointed.

Before seeing the film I viewed the Tim Burton Art exhibit. It is masterful and so creative. Pictures, multi media and sculptures from this zany creative artist are now on exhibit until April. It is a must visit. I was totally enamored with the whole collection.

If you like opera and period costumes you will thoroughly enjoy this film. Visually it is superb. I predict an Oscar nomination for the costumes. The salon scenes are fantastic. The scenes in Venice are a work of art. I especially loved the street scene during Carnival. The music is splendid throughout.

We first meet Lorenzo da Ponte as a child at his baptism. He had been Jewish and was converting to Catholicism. He became a poet and a priest. He obviously was far too interested in the ladies to remain faithful to the church. In fact he was expelled from Venice and goes to Vienna.

In Vienna he is introduced to the famous musician, Salieri, by his good friend Casanova. Salieri tries to play a trick on his friend Mozart by suggesting he hire the librettist da Ponte.

Mozart and Lorenzo da Ponte work together to write the opera Don Giovanni. Mozart is inspired by Lorenzo da Ponte and the two make a great team. The music of Mozart is splendid and the libretto by Lorenzo da Ponte is often risqué and lots of fun. Many of the ideas for the libretto come from life experiences of Lorenzo da Ponte and Casanova.

Throughout you are treated to the magical scores of Mozart.

I did find the character of Mozart unsatisfying. Some of his actions were annoying and his ridiculous wigs were distracting.

The scenery and the costumes are aesthetically pleasing. The music kept me happy throughout the total performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment