Monday, December 13, 2010

Seger

Segar 1568 Bayview Ave. 416 485 1568

I set out to meet a friend on Mt Pleasant Ave. It was a cold morning. All the restaurants are closed on Monday. Of all days for me to decide to be early. I was frozen. My friend arrived promptly on the hour as planned but nothing on the street was open We drove to Bayview Ave to discover the street alive and well. I found a parking spot right in front of Segar and it beckoned for us to go in. I’m certainly glad we did.

The mustard walls are soothing and the décor is pleasant and aesthetic. Our very friendly server had such a warm smile on such a cold day. She continued to offer the best service. The food has a hint of Indian flavor but basically is international. This chef is worth watching. I found his food to be creative and delicious.

A platter of Fried Flatbread with 2 exotic dips arrived. The bread is made on the premises. It has the taste of pita but is much more flavorful. One dip was coriander and Coconut. The other was a Tomato Jam. Fantastic and we hadn’t even ordered.

We both opted for the Spice Route Express. It was a bargain at $12.00. It was savory and pleasing to the palate. We started with Artichoke Soup with pieces of orange zest. It was thick, hot and bursting with flavor. The Lightly Grilled Flatbread Wrap was filled with grilled vegetables that had a most exotic sauce. I ordered mine vegetarian style. My dining companion enjoyed the addition of duck. The Salad was on the side. Arugula is my favorite green. It is peppery and crisp. The dressing had a distinct mustard flavoring and I was later told there were crushed berries. I mopped up every dot of sauce with the tasty flatbread. The daily special is $13.00

The other Soup offered on this day was Slow Roasted Sweet Red Pepper and Prawn Bisque.($6.00) How could you go wrong?

Crab and Shrimp Fritters are served with coriander chutney and salad.($6.00)

Organic quinoa and Roasted Nuts Salad is sautéed with spinach, edamame, tomato and spiced yogurt.($13.00)

I’m coming back for the Pan Roasted Organic Salmon served with fingerling potatoes and a tomato-tamarind sauce.($15.00) New World Noodles offer a corn pasta with seasonal vegetables with a pecan-cilantro pesto.($!3.99)

Madras Curried Lamb is enhanced with the apricot basmati pilaf.($15.00)

This menu is most creative. The flavors blended so well and the result was a most pleasing gourmet experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment