Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Fannie Chadwick

Fannie Chadwick

This Annex restaurant opened one year ago. I went to the restaurant shortly after it
opened. I had reservations about the restaurant. I loved the idea of a small neighborhood
in the Annex that honored a former author and resident of the Annex, Fannie Chadwick.
I found the menu too heavy on meat and not sufficient options for vegetarians. The food
was adequate but not great.
I decided to go back on the first anniversary to see how the restaurant was doing. I was
meeting an annex resident so it was very satisfying to be able to walk to the restaurant.
We were greeted in a friendly manner. There were quite a few people at the restaurant.
We were treated to an amuse bouche in honor of the fist anniversary. Miniature potatoes
were stuffed with marinated artichoke hearts and a little scallion. They were delicious.
It all went downhill after that.
My friend ordered the Tortiere Turnover.($14.95) The pastry looked too thick and
unappealing. The meat inside apppeared to be grey looking. My friend said it was okay.
(not good enough)
I ordered the Fanny’s Fall Salad ($9.50) with raosted beets and heirloom carrots with
arugual, leeks and malt vinegar. Have you ever heard of a caramelized vinaigrette? Globs
of caramel sauce were at the bottom of the plate. Caramel on ice cream, yes. On my salad
I found it to be sickenly sweet. I asked for some bread to help get rid of the sweetness.
The cheapest type of sliced white bread was served.
The Capuucino was excellent.
I found it difficult to choose something from the menu. I ould have ordered the Smoked
Fish on marble rye with cucumber and house mayo.($9.85)
Braised Lamb Shoulder is offered with a green olive tapenade on
sourdough.(($11.95)
Beef Burger is prepared with fresh ground beef, ketchup. Mustard, mayo,
pickle.($11.95)
The restaurant does claim to offer ocean wise seafood and naturally raised meat and
poultry. I applaud them for this.
I would like to see more vegetarian options. The food lacked presentation. T is the little
details that make for a satisfying meal.
May I will return in a year to view the progress but I don’t think so.

Dupont St

No comments:

Post a Comment