Monday, February 6, 2012

Pink Ribbons

Pink Ribbons Inc.



THIS IS A MUST FILM. CONGRATULATIONS TO THE NFB AND QUEBEC DIRECTOR LEA POOL FOR OPENING MY EYES ABOUT THE CULTURE SURROUNDING THE PINK RIBBON CAMPAIGNS AND CANCER.I WISH I COULD PROVIDE THIS FILM FOR ALL HIGH SCHOOLS. I FOUND IT TO BE AN EMOTIONAL EXPERIENCE.I LEARNED SO MUCH.

I have always thought it was so generous of companies to donate part of their profits to cancer research. My eyes were opened on this.

Even the terminology that we so flippantly use needs to be rethought. One cancer ‘survivor’ stated that the term is not appropriate. She feels it is a put down to those that are not as fortunate. Even the term of ‘battling’ cancer was offensive to many who have this disease.

I was amazed at the number of functions that take place to raise money. There is a Row for Cancer, Jump for the Cause, and Jump for cure just to name a few.

Much of the documentary focuses on the corporate marketing of products for cancer. It points out how hypocritical it is for Estee Lauder and Revlon to be an advocate for pink ribbon campaigns when their own products are contributing to the problem. On one walk for the cure a drink company was sponsoring a new drink and handing out samples. The Ford company was marketing a new model of Mustang with a ‘warrior logo and KFC was offering their product in pink buckets.

Many of those interviewed felt that the companies are exploiting cancer to improve profit.

Women with stage 4 cancer were interviewed. My heart broke for them as they told their stories and how they feel about the exploitation by companies. One woman was offended by the sales of pink teddy bears.

The film shows various buildings all over the world lit up in a pink lights. Women with cancer stated that we need to find out the root cause of cancer. Not enough research is going into this discovery. Many doctors were interviewed and I was fascinated with what they had to say. A lot of women feel alienated by the overly positive sell. They call it the tyranny of cheerfulness

It is shocking to realize that every 23 seconds someone is diagnosed with cancer.

Guaranteed the film is an eye opener even if you don’t believe all that is presented. I need to do simple things like checking out my cosmetics and many cleaners. What is in the lipstick that I eat so regularly?

I was shocked. I was moved. I just wish more people could see this well documented film.

No comments:

Post a Comment