Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Via Norte

Via Norte

My readers must be beginning to think I am an employee of Via Norte. Not so. I am a
loyal devoted patron who loves this restaurant. Tuna is my favorite fish and this place
makes the best tuna anywhere. I have actually had this fish in many parts of the world but
I am faithful to Via Norte as the all time winner.
Three longstanding friends went out for dinner. We had dined here at the former
Cataplana. Jose was also the chef at that time. Since those days Jose Alves has purchased
the restaurant and changed the name. He has refurbished the place. It is bright and
attractive. Rodrigo will look after you as your server. He is such a gently person and so
attentive.
The Grilled Fillet of Portuguese Sardines is one of the Portuguese signature dishes.
Many of my friends have enjoyed this dish on past occasions. On this evening one friend
was anxious to try this new dish.(for her) It is served with onion confit, sweet peppers,
mushrooms and zucchini. She was delighted.
The other dining companion opted for the Organic Baby Greens Salad. It was a very
large portion. Tomatoes, cucumbers and fresh fruit are enhanced with a balsamic vinegar
dressing.
I was so pleased with the Broiled Goat Cheese Salad. Fresh arugula is my favorite green.
It has a papery taste and is so tasty on the palate. A large circle of broiled cheese was on
top and it was all flattered with cider vinaigrette.
All three of us were already filled. The portions are generous. The Portuguese bread is
fresh and crusty. I can’t stop enjoying the home cured black olives.
All three of us had to have the Pan Seared Yellow Fin Tuna. It was even better last night
than usual. The secret to the flavoring is the green, black and pink peppercorns enhanced
with garlic and herbs. Two large portions are on each dish. The plating is so tantalizing.
Many beautifully flavored vegetables were included. I can only say it was so mouth
watering that I have to go back soon for more of this.
Grilled Calamari with lemon, garlic, coriander and extra virgin oil is another
offering. The Bitoque US Prime Steak is a great favorite. It is prepared
Portuguese style and well
Seasoned with garlic, and black pepper. Home Fries are on the side. The dish is topped
with a fried egg.
Oven Roasted Capon supreme is garnished with a medium spiced piri piri sauce.
Two of us managed to completely finish our Crème Brulee. It was not too rich and the
burned sugar topping was like candy. We teased our virtuous friend who had enough
common sense to order a Fresh Fruit Salad. All three of us felt we had enjoyed the perfect
dessert.
Check out the full menu on the web. Google Via Norte.
I feel as if Via Norte is my second home. I do crave that tuna and will continue to return
for more. My friends were also delighted with the service as well as their gourmet
dinners.
Thank you Jose Alves. You are indeed the master chef. Rodrigo continues to make sure
the guests are having the best service.

938 College St

No comments:

Post a Comment