Monday, February 6, 2012

La Petite France

La Petite France 3317 Bloor St West 416 234 8783



Maybe I have attended too many Winerlicious functions. I may be getting too critical. It had nothing to do with the subway ride out to Islington. That was actually pleasant. It had nothing to do with the company. I was meeting a dear friend. We actually geared up for this meal because my friend had sent me an article recently about the owner. It was so impressive. What an inspiring man. He has been a pastry chef, a paratrooper and a marathon runner. The owner was wearing a short sleeve red T shirt. I thought he had just come from cleaning the back room. The other gentleman server was wearing a suit and tie but was so brusque I wanted to ask,” What is your problem?’ The menu was quite inviting and offered extensive choices.

This is a charming little restaurant. It was so crowded and the waiting guests were hovering over out table. The noise level was also over the top.

The meal started in a festive mode. My friend had the Bisque de Homard. We were surprised that the Lobster Bisque had a tomato base and was so spicy. My friend said it was good but not superb.

My Caesar Salad was just the way I like it. I was pleased with the small portion because I had 2 more courses coming. The greens were crisp and the dressing was well flavored.

I had been told that the Crab Cake was a good selection.

My friend ordered the Steak with Peppercorn Sauce. The frites were excellent. The steak was once again just okay. Several of the bites were tough and inedible but they do get points for putting the sauce on the side as requested.

My Filet de Saumon Beuure Blanc was fair. The vegetables were perfectly cooked but cold. I give them credit for immediately bringing me another plate of steaming vegetables. They were perfectly prepared but had no sauce and no additional flavor. Steamed vegetables are not gourmet in my opinion. The salmon was a little overcooked and in a white flavorful sauce. The plate looked like something that would be served in a diner. Plate presentation is as important as the taste of the food.

Blackened Tilapia and Boeuf Bourginon were other options on the meal. Maybe I should have ordered the Vegetarian Pasta.

Fortunately we both licked our lips on the Lemon Tart. Yes! That was tasty and certainly enjoyed.

The menu seemed so promising. However, you can’t eat the menu. The food has to be properly prepared and presented in a tempting way. Perhaps I would have enjoyed this meal more if I had not previously had 2 superb Winterlicious experiences. I have a few more to come. I hope for better results on upcoming events .I will try to have an open mind and not be too critical.

No comments:

Post a Comment