Sunday, July 19, 2009

Corner House

Thank you Summerlicious. It allows me to attend some of the finest restaurants in the city at an affordable price. For $35.00 you are offered a 3 course meal of exquisite quality. It only is available until July 18. After that the excellent regular menu takes over. I have to confess that I have tried to get a reservation at Corner House for 2 years now during the Winterlicious and Summerlicious programs. They were always filled. This year I phoned at 10:00 am the first day you could book for Summerlcious. I did my homework. I went on the internet and checked the menus of every restaurant listed in the Summerlciious Program. This was the best.

Corner House is a charming house. The small interior rooms give you a warm feeling of dining at home. The outside terrace offers gracious dining under the trees. The place is elegant and charming. The food is one of the best in town.

It was my sister’s birthday and it had to be a special dinner. My sister, a special friend and I arrived promptly at the restaurant. By the time we left there was actually a long line waiting to come in. Our server was excellent. She was knowledgeable and attentive throughout dinner.

Corner House offers more choices than other restaurant participating in Summerlicious. My sister chose the Organic Arugula Salad. It featured endive, candied pecans, gorgonzola cheese pear and champagne vinaigrette. It was presented in a large oval shaped bowl. Doreen declared it a great winner. Her friend opted for the Chilled Cucumber Soup with chili oil, croutons and toasted Hazelnut. I had the Charred Black Tiger Shrimp with Provencal herb-garlic butter. I do not have words sufficient to describe the gourmet experience. This was the best possible. This was an appetizer and yet there were many shrimp perfectly cooked. Light watercress garnished the top. I couldn’t have been more satisfied. What a winner! Our only problem was in making a choice. There were so many tempting options.

Doreen and her friend enjoyed the Crackling Oven Roasted Cornish Hen. It was served on a warm summer vegetable salad with mint and ginger yogurt sauce. They were so satisfied with their choice. Once again I declared my dish the best choice. Cheese Ravioli with stewed tomato sauce, grilled eggplant and zucchini was served with pine nuts, arugula and basil pesto. Fantastic. I had considered the Seared Atlantic Halibut with shrimp, corn salsa and harvest vegetables. My guests had considered the Whole Roasted Black Angus Striploin with fingerling potatoes, field mushrooms and market vegetables. We were scoring perfect and still had dessert to savor.

Doreen loved the Praline & Valronha Chocolate Tart. with hazelnut crunch. Her friend loved the Lemon Mousse with fresh raspberries. I scored with the Ontario Farmed Rhubarb Crumble served with natural strawberry sauce and vanilla bean ice cream.

The portions were all very generous. This was one of the best meals I have enjoyed in a long while. I hope Doreen enjoyed her birthday dinner and all the evidence pointed in that direction.

What an evening. I want to go back today and do it all over again.

Excellent! Fantastic! A Gourmet Experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment