Sunday, July 19, 2009

Domani

I love the way fate can lead to new adventures. Nadia and I go back a long way when we were working colleagues. I like to think we were both excellent teachers and on the cutting edge of new ideas. We certainly do have a lot of great stories to tell. We hadn’t met for a long time and were looking forward to a reunion. We had planned a Summerlicious evening at Boho Bistro just up the street

When I arrived promptly at the appointed hour I was told by the beautiful manager that there were air conditioning problems and the hood over the cooking stove was mal functioning. There was actually smoke coming out the front of the restaurant and they were forced to close for the evening. Quite frankly I loved the ambiance and the charming proprietor and manager but I have had 5 Summerlicious meals in one week and one more lemon tart was weighing heavily in my brain and in my waist. When I heard the restaurant was closing for the night I thought this is providence.

Nadia knows Roncesvalles very well. She grew up on this street. We walked down the street and within a few blocks we found Domani. No problem without a reservation. We were greeted by a very handsome Theo and the sound of great taped jazz. We knew we were on to something good here. I was so grateful I didn’t need to have another 3 course meal.

I opted for 2 of the very appealing appetizers. The Hearts of Romaine Lettuce with Caesar dressing was perfect. The leaves were crisp and fresh. Pickled garlic was on the side. Sun–dried tomatoes and shaved Parmesan Cheese greatly added to the flavor. ($7.50) I loved every bite. It was just what I wanted. The second appetizer was one of the best I have ever eaten. Scottish Smoked Salmon with Potato Latke was served with arugula and an avocado sour cream sauce.($10.50) The structure was magnificent. The potato latke was perfectly flavored and cooked. Mounds of smoked salmon were on top of the delicious avocado sour cream. Crisp arugula topped the pyramid..This was so delicious. Freshly sliced Tomato and Bocconcini is served with basil and shallot dressing.($9.50) Steamed PEI Mussels with Red Curry are served with fresh tomato and chives in a coconut broth with chardonnay wine, roasted garlic, fresh herbs and scallions. In addition white wine, lemon, fresh tomato and fresh herbs grace this plate.($10.95)

Nadia ordered the Fresh Whole Wheat Fettuccini with pan seared scallops, black tiger shrimp, asparagus, roasted red pepper, garlic and pesto. ($16.95) She insisted I try a bit. We both agreed that this was a wondrous tasting experience. Wow!

Sicilian Style Gnocchi are served with Portobello mushrooms, oven dried tomatoes, baby spinach and Gorgonzola cream.($14.95)

We watched the guests at a different table enjoying one of the featured Pizzas. Black Marinated chicken is also topped with pesto, fresh herbs, sun dried tomato paste and goat’s cheese.($15.50) Roasted Rack of Lamb with a grainy mustard crust is served with garlic mashed potatoes, vegetables and port reduction.($23.95) Oven Roasted Tilapia is served with a mango miso drizzle and served on a bed of prawns with baby bok choy and red mini potatoes.($23.95)

It was great to be with Nadia. It was such fun to discover this gourmet dining spot. We loved it all

No comments:

Post a Comment