Monday, July 6, 2009

Public Enemies

I’m ashamed of myself but I confess that sometimes I like to root for the bad guy, especially if he looks like Johnny Depp. Our history of the Wild West contains many stories of notorious bank robbers. I don’t think I would have liked to have lived in those days but I love the stories. John Dillinger who was public enemy number 1 for many years is aptly portrayed by Johnny Depp. He is the best part of a violent film. Dillinger was magnificent at robbing banks. He was put in jail many times and often was able to make a creative escape.

He sees a beautiful lady at a supper club and immediately falls for her. The relationship and love affair is a happy part of the story. Marion Cotillard plays the beautiful moll.

The main part of the film is the plotting by a tough cop who is determined to get Dillinger and bring him down. As this is history I won’t be ruing the ending of a historical period. I almost wish I could change it.

When the shootouts occur it sounds like the 24th of May in the midst of the fireworks. Parts of the cat and mouse game were fascinating. Dillinger was a master of escape.

The film was too bloody and too noisy for my taste. I found myself looking at my watch and hoping it would end soon so I could go home and have a glass of wine.

At the end of the film they give you information about the real life of the girlfriend. I always find true life stories interesting. This was quite a colorful time in American history.

No comments:

Post a Comment