Sunday, July 19, 2009

Trappers

I am beginning to feel like a butterball. This was my 4th Summerlicious experience within a week. That means 3 course meals with rich fattening delicious desserts.(Prices vary from $25.00. $35.00 or $45.00) Trappers is $35.00 for 3 courses.

My jazz playing grandson was leaving on his big Western tour. He has arranged this month long gig and was very excited planning to play in Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver. I offered to take him for dinner and then to the airport. I needed to choose a restaurant near the 401. Trappers seemed like the perfect location and Alex was delighted. I check every menu before booking for Summerlicious. They are all listed on the website. Summerlicius does end on July 19th but the regular menu has all the items listed for this special event. Trappers did have many choices on their Summerlicius menu, more than most other restaurants.

He thoroughly enjoyed the Baked Goat Cheese and Portobello Mushroom appetizer. It was flavored with a raspberry flavored dressing. I opted for the Trapper’s Summerlicious Salad. Baby spinach and organic greens were mixed with poached pears, barbecued apples, caramelized pecans with honey mustard pomegranate vinaigrette. I could hardly finish all the salad but Alex has a great appetite and was able to eat both his appetizer as well as some of mine.

The Soup of the day was Chilled Tomato with orange and fresh basil with smoked gruyere cheese. Jump Fried Escargot was served on eggplant with gorgonzola cheese and a basil sauce.

Alex enjoyed his main course of Charcoal Broiled Tandoori Chicken with a maple balsamic reduction. He said it was excellent. Acadian Baked Red Snapper was served with a citrus coriander puree blanc and a mango pineapple salsa. Meat lovers would have chosen the Charcoal Broiled Black Angus Striploin Steak or perhaps the Charcoal Broiled Spring Lamb.

I ordered the Angel Hair Pasta tossed with grilled Portobello mushrooms, zucchini, bell peppers, eggplant, sun dried tomatoes and topped with basil, virgin olive oil and gratinee of Asia go cheese. It was the first ‘dud’ I have had in all of Summerlicious. The cheese was too rich and the rest of the dish was flavorless. Once again Alex was able to finish all of his dish as well as mine.

During Summerlicius I always have a dessert and have never left a crumb. My waist is crying out to me at this point. Alex loved the Chocolate Truffle Cake. It was dense and a generous portion. I ordered the Double Lemon Tart. The crust was shortbread and the lemony custard was very tangy. I do admit I shoved the whipped cream topping to the side. How virtuous of me!

I am glad that Summerlicious comes only once a year. I eat far too much but I do enjoy the wealth of offerings in this gourmet city. I have one more dining experience tonight which is the last night of Summerlicious.

Now I can count the months until Winterlicious comes. In the meantime I am going on a diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment