Monday, July 6, 2009

Whatever Works

You either love or hate Woody Allen. I admit that some of his films in the past few years have not been up to his earlier standards. However, I felt that this film transformed me back to his earlier great films. I think the man is a creative genius. He is bit nuts and certainly a hypochondriac. I figure that if a film can make you laugh it is a good film. I was totally delighted with all the corn and silliness.

Larry David plays the part of Boris Yellnikoff, a middle aged, genius who is a hypochondriac. It certainly seemed to me to be a character playing Woody Allen himself. Boris rants and raves about life.(mostly raves) No wonder his wife left him. He teaches chess to the local kids. He insults the kids and their mothers.

He has two friends with whom he meets. They like to ‘chew the fat’ in a philosophical way.

Boris lives in a walk up apartment. To say it is awful is an understatement. The sink is filthy and nothing about it is appealing. One night a beautiful young southern miss knocks on his door. She begs for food and then asks to stay for a few nights until she can find herself.

She helps him to become more likeable and the two actually marry.

The antics start when her mother arrives from the south looking for her daughter. It becomes totally absurd as she becomes a photographer and moves in with Boris’s two friends. The father’s arrival brings up topics of infidelity and homosexuality.

Talking about the action sounds bizarre. I found it delightful. Woody Allen filmed most of the scenes in the old section of New York City. I felt I was on a tour and loved every minute of it.

Some of the jokes were so old and probably silly the first time they were told but it seemed to work for me.

At times Boris steps out of the scene and talks into the camera to give the audience some detail or funny comment.

To me this was the old Woody Allen back again and I enjoyed it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment