Monday, July 12, 2010

Bistro Tournesol

Bistro Tournesol 406 Dupont St 416 921 7766

Philip Lewicki runs one of the finest restaurants in town. Of course he has a great deal of help from Chef Craig Lockhart. Together they run the perfect little establishment. The restaurant is small and beautifully appointed. The service is so welcoming. The food is absolutely amazing and I can’t wait to go back and do it all over again. It is situated on a fairly quiet part of town so there is always street parking. Once you enter the premises you are in for a magic experience.

Summerlicious has just begun and I had to start out on the first night of this event. This restaurant offers a three course menu for the unbelievable price of $25.00. What an amazing value. I was also celebrating my sister’s birthday with her friend. Above all it had to be good food.

My sister began with the Tornesol Mixed Greens. Sunflower seeds and cherry tomatoes were tossed with shallot vinaigrette. Apparently this was a winner.

Both Michael and I ordered the East Coast Crab and Fish Cake with chiffonade of Napa Cabbage. Oh my how can anything taste this good? The onion marmalade and touch of exotic sauce on the side of the plate enhanced the flavor of the delicate tasty fish cake. I could have called that dinner and been happy. Summer Soup du Jour is the third option for the first course.

I enjoyed the Grilled Fresh Atlantic Salmon with a citrus aioli. The fish was moist and flaky. The aioli was too delicious and I was scooping it up. I have to rave about the vegetables. They were plentiful and perfectly prepared. The snow peas were crisp and tasty. Spinach, cauliflower and carrots were also fully enjoyed .Every table receives a bowl of the best Frites ever. They are matchstick in size and served crispy and hot. I couldn’t believe how I was demolishing the contents of the bowl. I never eat fries but these were worthy of a gold medal.

Michael ordered the Fusilli with Lamb Sausage, red onion, zucchini, tomato and goat’s cheese. It was beautifully presented and thoroughly enjoyed. Roasted Chicken Breast with Dijon-Pommery Mustard Sauce completed the entrĂ©e suggestions. Specials were listed on the board for a $5.00 additional charge.

My sister ordered the Sauteed Provini Veal Liver with a mustard cream sauce.

All of the sauces were exceptional. We felt this was a creative menu beautifully executed. The presentation of each plate was a work of art.

Don’t ever forget dessert at Bistro Tournesol. I remembered from a previous visit the taste of the Lemon Curd Tart with berry preserves. It was better than ever. The lemon was creamy but very tart. The crust melted in my mouth. My sister opted for the Bittersweet Belgian Chocolate Mousse with white chocolate shavings and almond biscotti. Yes. It was outstanding. The third option was tempting but we had made our decision. Warm Spiced Apple Crumble is served with old fashioned vanilla ice cream.

The menu was well planned and delighted us from the first bite until the last. We were so warmly received and never rushed even though the place was always fully packed.

I know my sister enjoyed her birthday and all three of us had a splendid evening dining in the finest of gourmet food.

No comments:

Post a Comment