Monday, July 5, 2010

Grace

Grace 503 College St ( at Palmerston) 416 944 8884

How fortunate I am to have Fransi as a friend. She is the scout to find the best in fine dining. The gourmet food gets better with each choice but on this occasion she hit the jackpot. Fantastic! Outstanding! Amazing!

As soon as I entered the restaurant I knew I was in for a treat. I loved the laid back feeling. At the same time it was elegant. Tables are placed on both sides of the wall. The centre aisle is spacious and allows the servers to move with ease. The place was full on a Monday evening but it never got too noisy. One wall has mirrors. The other wall has small pictures perfectly hung. One patch of wall at the end of the room is a turquoise color. It is a whimsical touch that balances the décor. A little inner courtyard is private and comfortable .We was so warmly greeted by Jason, the manager. He moves about the restaurant greeting guests and chatting with the patrons. He has a keen eye and watches everywhere to make sure that everybody is content.

Fransi has delighted in dining here many times and was greeted as a best friend. Fransi claims she is eating her way through the menu. I think I will now also take that challenge.

Monday evenings during the summer the wine is at a reduced price. What a deal!

This restaurant has only been in existence for part of the year. They have mastered the technique and everything works to perfection. I compliment the staff on having a creative menu that is not overly extensive. I knew that the food was going to be fresh and well prepared. It was beyond any expectations. Chef Dustin hails from Susur on King St. That explains the quality and excellence in the food preparation, presentation and taste. It is safe to say this is one of the finest meals I have enjoyed in Toronto. Dane was our handsome charming server. Fransi and I shared the special Salad of the evening, Arugula Salad With Fresh Figs and parmesan cheese. Toasted hazelnuts were on the side of the plate. The balsamic reduction was just sufficient to bring out the flavors of this wonderful salad.

I was also tempted with the Beet Carpaccio with spicy mustard, frisee, watercress, and apple and garlic chips. ($12.00)

The Ontario Asparagus Salad with cherry tomatoes, purple potato, olive tapenade and a soft boiled egg also was promising.($11.00)

The main course made me think of Montelpuciano Italy. Pasta in a sage butter sauce is a common feature on menus in Italy. Tonight we ordered Fresh Ricotta Gnudi with brown sage butter and porcini mushrooms. ($20.00) The little pockets of pasta literally melted in my mouth. The filling was delicate and tasteful. The aroma of the mushrooms was tantalizing and the taste was ‘ambrosia to the palate.’ This was perfection.

Fransi tells me that the BBQ Braised Short Ribs with potato and leek salad with asparagus is a winning combination.($30.00)

I was also tempted with the Slow Cooked Halibut with cauliflower, sweet pea and a beurre blanc.($32.00)

Whenever I see Lemon Tart on a menu I salivate. The pastry was paper thin. The lemon curd was tarty and creamy. I am told that the filling is placed in the crust just before serving. I have to go back for another one.

Fransi ordered the special Cocounut Key Lime Tart. A giant cream puff was filled with a creamy, tasty and delicious filling. This was a fist rate dining experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment