Monday, July 5, 2010

This Movie is Broken

I now believe in fate. I was headed to see this very film over the weekend. At the entrance of my apartment building I realized that the rain was torrential and a walk was not in order. Instead I stayed glued to my TV for a full day watching the horrors that were happening in our fair city. Had I have gone to the film at that hour I would have exited in time to be caught up with the melee with the police at Queen St and Peter. No thanks.

Today it was brisk and sunny and I walked to and from the film. I needed time after the film to try and digest what I had just seen. I like to support Canadian films .I think there was a generational problem for me with this film. The film tells two stories. Much of the film is about the band, Broken Social Scene. I have not heard of them before and quickly called my grandson, Alex on my return. He assured me that they are the top of their field and are excellent. They are 12 in number and at least 6 of them sing throughout the concert. The audience in the film was immense and obviously loved them. Much of their playing takes place at a free concert at Harborfront. It was during the time of the garbage strike and the boats were not in service.

I loved all the shots of Toronto. Many of the local spots will be familiar to the audience. If you like this music group you will be well entertained. They play a lot.

The second part of the story is a relationship between two friends. They had been childhood friends and it had blossomed into a relationship. The young lady studies anthropology in France and is about to leave town to resume her studies. The two go to the concert to hear the band.

Parts of the story were confusing. At one point the film appears to have been broken until I realized that is intended.

The movie is written by Don McKellar and directed by Bruce Mcdonald. I mentioned that there was a generational gap for me. At the same time I was interested in hearing the music and at times I really liked the sound. I didn’t quite understand the young couple but so what.

No comments:

Post a Comment