Sunday, July 18, 2010

Tehroun

Tehroun

I was anxious to see this film from a cultural point of view. Movies can transport us to places we will never be able to go. After this film I have no desire to ever go to Tehran. The film could better be called Doom and Gloom.

I found it a little confusing. It was always sordid and dark. I was fascinated in the characters’ lives and was grateful that such an existence would never be mine.

Ibrahim is basically a thief. He lives in a one room hovel with two other men. He rents a baby so he can go begging and pretend that his wife is dead. He walks the streets and travels on busses begging for his poor child. He states that the mother is dead. I felt so sorry for that child who was carried for hours in the heat and the dirt to play this sham.

A prostitute pretends to befriend Ibrahim and when he turns his back she steals the baby. Ibrahim spends his time trying to find the girl who stole the baby.

The three men get involved with underworld activities and their lives are in danger. There is a lot of suspense.

Ibrahim initially came to the big city to make a better life for himself. His wife arrives from the country to be with him. Things go from bad to worse.

I wanted to come home and take a shower and eat a decent meal. It was so sad to see how they had to live.

Their activities kept getting them into more difficulty. The ending was very dramatic. I read that the last scene was shot with one take so that the Tehran authorities would not see them.

Life is difficult in Tehran. Making films is strictly limited. I congratulate the filmmaker for his effort. It did win an award at the Venice Film Festival. One can’t enjoy all films. All films are not meant to be entertaining. I value this film for the visit I was able to take into the underworld activities of a group of poor men in Tehran.

No comments:

Post a Comment