Sunday, July 18, 2010

Lolito's Lust

Lolito’s Lust 513 Danforth Ave. 416 465 1751

Summerlicious is my favorite time of the year. It is an opportunity to try out many new restaurants and be able to sample and compare new cuisine. It is also an opportunity to meet up with friends I haven’t seen for a while. Summerlicious offers three course meals for $25.00. Many of the restaurants are more expensive but it is easy to find restaurants at the reasonable price of $25.00 Each year at this time the ‘four ladies’ get together for a gourmet treat and to catch up on all our news. It is an event I look forward to. I admit we decided on this location because of the name. What fun!

I have been dining out a lot lately and have been impressed with the excellence of the food. You can’t help but compare restaurants, menus, service and presentation. Lolita’s Lust was a disappointment. The food was okay but not great. That is not good enough.

Lolito’s Lust is a charming restaurant. It is so much larger than it appears. The front patio and the front of the restaurant were quite war. We were taken into a back room. In fact there are three back rooms. One had previously been a courtyard. The most inner room was an original coach house. The rooms are charming and I could see a small private party enjoying the privacy and comfort. We were warmly greeted and the kind attention continued throughout the evening.

I became a little critical when the food was presented. All four of us ordered the exact same food. The Roasted Beet & Cucumber Salad was served with tzatiki/ balsamic reduction. The large chunks of beets were very tasty. The cucumber slivers were lacking in taste. It was a good salad but not exceptional.

My main concern was the main dish. We opted for the Seared Salmon. The salmon was tasty but a touch overdone. I really did not like the tomato chili chutney on top of the salmon. In fact it left a taste in my mouth all evening. The chili flavor was much too strong for the subtle taste of fish. Mashed potatoes were placed on the bottom of the plate. The potatoes were not hot enough and I found the texture a bit lumpy. Some bok choy was placed on the potatoes and the salmon at the top.

We all ordered the Lemon Tart. Once again okay is not good enough. It wasn’t tarty enough or lemony enough for my taste.

There were several other options on the menu. I was sorry I didn’t try the Gnocchi. It is prepared with eggplant and tomato sauce. The Chilled Tomato & Cucumber Soup might also have been a better option. Chocolate Mousse should have been my dessert option.

It was a friendly place. I delighted in telling people I was going to restaurant with this name. The food was okay but not up to the standards I have experienced at other restaurants. At least the ‘four ladies’ had a pleasant evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment