Sunday, August 8, 2010

Boulevard Cafe

Boulevard Café 161 Harbord St 416 961 7676

When I first became a Vice-Principal I had the good fortune of working with, John, a great principal. He taught me so much and I am deeply grateful. We continue to be friends and at least once a year we meet with his delightful wife Mary Ann. They were good enough to travel from the far east (of Toronto) to meet me at the Boulevard Café. The patio is enormous and was cool under the awning. This has always been a favorite spot. I knew my friends would love the Peruvian flavor of the food. Everything is so tempting on the menu and it is often difficult to choose. Daily specials are listed on a blackboard. The menu offers Peruvian specialties and a variety of dishes.

I have dined here often with my grandson, Alex. His favorite dish is the Chicken Anticuchos. ($17.00) The chicken is thick, moist and grilled to perfection. The brochettes are marinated in wine, herbs and spices and served with salad. The portions are very generous. I have enjoyed the Shrimp Anticuchos ($18.95) I love the barbecue flavor and the shrimps are large, moist and so flavorful.

On this occasion John ordered the Omelette Dia. ($10.95) It was filled with delicious goodies and beautifully flavored with herbs. A tasty fresh salad was on the side.

Both Mary Ann and I chose the Creole Salad.($11.95) Boston lettuce, garbanzo beans, artichoke hearts, tomatoes, eggs, cucumbers, olives and avocado are served with a spicy tarragon dressing. It is fantastic.

The Peruvian Plate has also been a winner. ($12.75) Steamed vegetables are served on a bed of lettuce. The huancaina sauce is on the side. I feel very virtuous when I indulge in this tasty dish.

The Boulevard Burger has always been a favorite of the clientele. The lean spiced beef is charcoal broiled and served on a toasted onion bun with guacamole.($14.95)

The Sandwiches are an adventure in dining. They are served with greens and Yukon gold fries. Plan on not eating for the next few days. Butifarra de Salmon offers a tempting sandwich composed of smoked salmon, smoked gruyere, grilled zucchini, roasted jalapeno and sweet peppers on grilled rye bread with caraway.($11.95) Vegetariano is a combination of arugula, cucumber, alfalfa sprouts, tomatoes, hard boiled egg, avocado, grated carrots and spicy mayonnaise on whole wheat bread.($10.95)

The Grilled spinach uses whole wheat bread and is filled with fresh spinach, grilled feta cheese and mozzarella with red onions.($11.95)

A typical Peruvian dish is the Papa a la Huancaina. Sliced potatoes and baby shrimp are served in a goat cheese and aji mirasol sauce and garnished with black olives and hard boiled eggs.($11.75)

I have been dining in this popular spot for many years. I return often because the food is so tasty. It is a comfortable friendly restaurant with excellent service. I even know what I will order when I return in the near future. This restaurant is a success story that continues to please.

It was wonderful to see my friends again. We enjoyed our excellent food and lengthy conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment