Monday, August 9, 2010

By the Way Cafe

By The Way Café 400 Bloor St West 4116 967 4295

I was taking my aunt out for dinner. She is 96 years old and the ‘bright light on the block’. She is so adorable with her reddish color hair and rouge cheeks. Auntie Mame comes to mind. I find it hard to believe that she still does her own income tax and never makes a mistake. She lives in a lovely retirement home but it is so nice for to get out for a meal. She loves to see the action on the street and is amazed at how the neighborhood has changed. I have been coming to By The Way Café since it first opened and that was many years ago. I knew my aunt would love the place. She found the painted mural very humorous. She loved the view as she looked out the window at all the people passing by. More important she was thrilled with the food. Many of the dishes have n Israeli touch.

Stephanie was our adorable server and looked after us very well. My aunt started with a large bowl of Beet Borscht.($7.00) It was so creamy and the bright red color made it look so appetizing. For a second course she enjoyed an appetizer portion of Babaganoush with pita.($6.00) The smoked eggplant was so to her liking. The retirement home never serves these foods that she likes so much.

I like the menu here. My problem is that there is so much from which to choose.

I was tempted with the Grilled Swordfish served with mango, coriander and dried chilli salsa.($18.00) Not many restaurants serve this favorite fish. Perhaps next time. I was also tempted with the Vegetarian Herbed Cous Cous. It is prepared with red onion and served on a bed of greens, topped with grilled tofu, zucchini, apricots and chick peas.($14.00)

I decided on the Salad Nicoise because it was topped with a piece of fresh grilled tuna.($12.00) The greens were so refreshing and perfectly enhanced with a flavorful vinaigrette. The piece of tuna was very generous and oh so tasty. I love tuna. I smacked my lips with each bite. I was very happy. The green beans were crisp and the potato pieces flavorful.

There were two Pasta Specials on this evening. Rigatoni was prepared with chicken and spinach in a basil pesto tomato sauce.($14.00)

Linguine is served with scallops, mussels and shallots in a gorgonzola and roasted red pepper cream sauce.($14.00)

Walk by this establishment at any hour. It is busy in the morning, at lunch and also for dinner. The large patio is tented so you can feel dry in the rain but still enjoy the outdoor breeze. The regular menu features many Mediterranean dishes. Every day the extensive menu of daily specials is offered. I have always enjoyed the food here. It is flavorful and nicely presented.

I know it was a great treat for my aunt and I loved watching her enjoy herself. I had a good time also.

No comments:

Post a Comment