Sunday, August 8, 2010

Charlie St Cloud

Charlie St Cloud

Why do I punish myself? I knew this would be a terrible film and I was so right. Thank goodness I had enough Scene points to qualify for a free film. Ii was pure drivel. I don’t even know the intended audience but presume with the handsome Zac Efron in the lead all the young teenagers will flock to see their idol.

Zac plays the part of Charlie. He is such a good brother to Sam. They boat together and play baseball. Zac is a winning sailor and plans to go to Stanford on a scholarship. Mom is a hard working nurse who does double shifts to keep the family together. Zac seems to be mother, father, big brother and everything to Sam.

Sam dies in a car accident and Charlie can’t get over it. Charlie believes that Sam is in front of him and sees him. He agrees to meet Sam every day by the cemetery. Charlie even takes a job as ac caretaker in the cemetery to be close to Sam.

Charlie becomes infatuated with Tess, a former sailing friend. She is trying to get over the loss of her father. They both suffer from grief and share a love of sailing.

Tess is planning to sail for 6 months around the world. Her boat is lost in a storm and she is lost and presumed dead. Charlie takes a boat out in the storm to find Tess.

It’s a Hollywood film so I don’t even have to hint at the ending.

Charlie gets his courage from a man who saved him from the accident when his brother was killed. To add to the pain and grief this medic dies from cancer and sends his St Jude medal to Charlie.

This film is based on a book that deals with death, grief and letting go. I have no idea if it was any better. I know it couldn’t be any worse.

There were some pretty scenes when the boat was out in the water. The two main characters are beautiful to watch but that is not enough.

I should have stayed home to read but then you wouldn’t be able to read this review. I hope the films get a little better in the coming weeks. It is the only negative of summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment