Sunday, August 8, 2010

Sassafraz

Sassafraz 100 Cumberland St 416 964 2222

I was so excited that my grandson Brad and his beautiful Hillary were coming to Toronto. They left Chicago at 3:30 a.m. to be here in Toronto in time for lunch. I was so honored that they took the time for lunch before heading to a wedding in Montreal. It was Brad’s birthday. I wanted it to be a memorable meal. After driving for 8 hours I thought a short walk would be in order. What could be better than a stroll through Yorkville? We tried to get a table on the patio. Of course it was completely filled on such a great summer day. We were invited to dine in the main dining room. That was absolutely the right place. We had a perfect table at the back in the solarium. A pleasant waterfall and the sleek modern design made for a perfect ambiance.

The service was outstanding and we settled in for a birthday celebration. Sangria with fresh fruit was a delightful beginning.

Brad ordered the Scallops.($21.00) They were large and looked so tempting. The seared scallops were served with warm asparagus, parsnip and truffle salad with a chanterelle foam. It was a work of art. I could tell they were tender because a fork was all that was needed to cut the meaty portions.

Hillary enjoyed her Ravioli.($18.00) Buffalo mozzarella ravioli were served with fresh tomato and basil. The presentation in the large white bowl was very tantalizing.

I had been told beforehand that the Salad Nicoise was delicious.($18.00) I love tuna and will travel anywhere for a good piece of that delightful fish. This was the best. The tuna pieces were perfectly cooked. The fish melted in my mouth. This was not a traditional nicoise salad. There was a mound of fresh frisee on the tuna. The artichoke vinaigrette was scrumptious.

I was tempted with the Salmon served with parsley root and potato puree, asparagus and salsify with a red pepper beurre blanc.($24.00)

This was a birthday so we had to order a dessert. The Chocolate Dessert was a wondrous experience. A chocolate banana flourless cake was decorated with pineapple carpaccio, rum and coconut mousse. The Lemon Dessert was also tempting. A Limoncello Olive Oil cake, lemon ricotta cannoli and lemon curd are served with lemongrass ice cram. I also wanted to try the Raspberry and Rhubarb Tart with vanilla custard, lemon poppy seed gelee and toasted meringue. All desserts are $12.00. My sister joined us for a cappuccino. I noticed the biscotti on the side. I mentioned to the server that I love biscotti. A nanosecond later a little plate of biscotti was placed on the table. They were devoured immediately. So delicious! As if all that wasn’t enough a plate with three chocolates placed on little butter cookies was presented to us. Of course we couldn’t leave anything.

I thought the menu was thoughtful and creative. The presentation was so appealing and the service impeccable.

I hope Brad had a great birthday. I certainly had fun celebrating with my grandson and his lady love. How lucky I am

No comments:

Post a Comment