Monday, August 16, 2010

Eat, Pray, Love

There are many reasons I recommend this film. I felt I had taken a world journey. Liz (Julia Roberts) is an unhappy unfulfilled wife and longs to find herself with a year of travel. Her journey takes her to Rome, India and Bali and you go along for a free ride. I adored the scenes in Rome. The food was so tantalizing. I was craving pizza when I left the cinema. The city landmarks were great.

I remembered the crowds I had seen when visiting in India. Liz seemed to make her way around with no problems. I enjoyed seeing the scenes in the Ashram. I have never been to Bali and it felt like I was on a visit to that particular part of the world. (and I liked it)

In each place Liz meets new friends. Each helps her to fulfill her search to self actualization.

Javier Bardem is one sexy man. He literally bumps into her in Bali. He knocks her from her bicycle as he drives along a country road. He was so appealing and handsome as her lover in Bali. He woos her and I felt like swooning.

I loved the concept of the film. This is actually based on the true story of writer. She felt that life was not satisfying. I thought her husband in the film seemed like ‘quite a hunk.’ However she needed more and they part. She briefly has a fling with an actor but that also was not sufficient. She gave up everything to take a year off and travel to these exotic places. I so admired her courage and ability to travel by herself in such an extensive trip.

I related to the inner journey. Life is short and I admired the fact that she was striving to be fulfilled. Not many of us are prepared to take such a thought provoking inner journey. Some may complain that such action is totally elf indulgent. So what. A personal journey is bound to be self absorbing. That is what it is all about. I admired her courage and spunk in taking a totally creative journey to find her inner self. I found myself analyzing my own life process as I walked home following the film.

I have never been a fan of Julia Roberts. Her wide constant smile can be irritating. When she wasn’t smiling she seemed to be crying. I could think of other actors that might have been better. The fact is she is lovely and she played the part well. It was the action and the premise that kept me interested.

This was a journey to other places and a journey into her mind. I was aware that this story was based on fact so I floated with the story accepting the facts.

It was entertaining and for me thought provoking.

Apparently the book is a great read. It is the actual journey taken by author Elizabeth Gilbert. She now spends half of the year in the United States and the other half in Bali. Does that sound like a happy ending?

No comments:

Post a Comment