Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Omni

Omni 2793 Bathurst St (at Glencairn) 416 783 2091

When my daughter and granddaughter come for a visit from Israel it necessitates eating kosher food. Omni is our favorite kosher restaurant. I love the total concept. The sign outside advertises Java and Jewellery. Part of the establishment is a jewellery business. The other half is a restaurant serving very fine food. I find the total concept whimsical and delightful.

I call on Omni for take out when the Israeli family comes to my home for a meal. It is always so delightful to deal with Omni. They are friendly and always helpful. We think their food is of the finest quality and taste.

On this particular Thursday evening both parts of the establishment were busy. I enjoyed watching one young group of very attractive fashionable women come out of the jewellery section. They were all radiant. I was tempted to ask what they had purchased. They took a table nearby and proceeded to have dinner.

The front of the shop sells delicious bread and pastries for take out. The breads are of the highest quality. We ate one basket of bread and immediately asked for another because it was so delicious. The multigrain bread is of the finest quality and a hearty texture.

Our server, Larry, added to the festivities. He was charming and helpful. Another server made sure our water glasses were constantly topped up. We thanked her for being so helpful.

I am anxiously awaiting the liquor license to be approved. One does need a glass of wine with good food Larry suggested I order the Farfalle a la Vodka ($16.00) so I could have my liquor portion for the evening. His sense of humor was delightful. My daughter-in-law made that dish her selection. The bow tie pasta was served in a rose sauce with a hint of vodka.($16.00) She urged us all to have a sample. Excellent choice.

I have often declared that I would go a long distance to enjoy a plate of tuna. It is my absolute favorite. Most restaurants do not serve it. Tuna is expensive. It is also hard to cook. One second too long and the fish become dry and flavorless. Most chefs prefer to serve tuna slightly red inside. Not only does Omni offer tuna on the menu, it serves it perfectly prepared.

My son ordered the Peppercorn Tuna.($25.00) I really did salivate when I saw the presentation of his dinner. The tuna was a very generous portion. It was delicious. He enjoyed the quinoa served on the plate. It was a nice balance to the meal.

My daughter ordered the Fish and Chips.($21.00) Two large portions of fresh battered fish were served with a tasty sauce. The chips were plentiful and perfectly cooked.

My granddaughter chose the Chinese Fried Quinoa, a dish of sautéed vegetables and toasted pecans in a light ginger sauce.($15.00). Once again the presentation was appealing. She said the vegetables were perfectly cooked and tasty.

My grandson enjoyed the Grilled Fillet of Salmon.($22.00) He said that the fish was cooked to perfection and he loved the maple mustard sauce.

I always have the Salade Nicoise here.($17.00) I like it because it is a light meal but I also get my fill of that delicious tuna. Large chunks of perfectly cooked and flavorful tuna topped the plate. The other vegetables fanned the plate in a very artistic design. The thin French style green beans were so crisp. The lemony sauce on the side was perfect for dipping the assortment of vegetables on the plate.

It was a great family get together and a wonderful feast.

No comments:

Post a Comment