Monday, August 16, 2010

Joan Rivers

Joan Rivers A Piece Of Work

You can tell that summer is coming to an end. There were at least five films I could have viewed this weekend. It was a long hot dry summer in both the weather and the film industry.

I really like documentaries. I always learn so much. Joan Rivers is someone I love to hate. I questioned if I could sit for 90 minutes and look at that plastic face. I did want to hear what she had to say and what others had to say about her. The film was a winner at the Sundance Film Festival

I still have a smile on my face hours after seeing the film. I actually laughed out loud on many occasions. What a wonderful documentary! I really felt as if the director was able to get into her soul and let the audience get to know this character.

The theatre was filled and there was uproarious laughter in many parts.

We see many old film clips of her entertaining on the Ed Sullivan show as well as Johnny Carson. In many ways Johnny Carson made and broke Joan Rivers. He recognized her talent and had her on his program numerous times. At one point she signed to do her own shown for Fox Channel. Johnny Carson never spoke to her again and made it difficult for her in many ways. She really never got over this.

Often her jokes are crude beyond belief. It is hard to think that a 75 year old lady is sprouting these filthy jokes.

We see her behind the scenes in her office. We meet her assistant and various managers and agents. I found it all so fascinating.

She is a workaholic. It is hard to imagine how much she values being on the stage and only seems to be happy when she is successfully entertaining. She also values the almighty dollar and will do almost anything to earn money. She sells jewellery on TV. She was actually a winner on Celebrity Apprentice. She will go anywhere and perform at any hour hoping to be appreciated along the way.

One comedian stated that Joan will never leave show business. He said,” There will be nailing marks on the red carpet before she retires.”

She is always looking for new projects and tries so hard to please. She actually is very sensitive when things don’t go her way.

We are treated to many of her show appearances. Her timing is excellent. I love the way she can laugh at her own jokes. She can also get annoyed. One man yelled out in the audience against something she said. She became vitriol but sure could think fast as the reply flew out of her mouth.

Her apartment has to be seen to be believed. It is so lavish and grand. ‘Over the top’ would be a good way to describe it. We meet the couple who cook and look after her.

Nothing is sacred in her comedy. I did cringe a few times and was grateful to be alone. I still caught myself laughing.

We see a lot of her daughter, Melissa in the film. I have never understood what her daughter does other than trail on her mother’s coat tail. I am still none the wiser on that topic.

This is an excellent film. There is a great deal of information and it is packaged in an interesting informative way. I loved every minute and I am still smiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment