Sunday, August 8, 2010

Dinner for Schmucks

Dinner For Schmucks

I guess I don’t have a sense of humor. I did not find this film funny in any way. I was bored and disgusted. I do remember the film Dinner Game. In this film a businessman was asked to bring an idiot to his boss’s dinner party. The idea was that all the other guests would make fun of him. The guest thinks he has been invited because he is interesting. I fail to see the humor in that premise. Dinner For Schmucks is a remake of the former film.

In this film Tim is an investment analyst. He wants to succeed and move his office to the seventh floor with all ‘the winners.’ His adorable girlfriend is an art curator who keeps refusing the engagement requests and insists on a little more time.

Tim finally gets his chance to upgrade. His boss asks him to invite an idiot to dinner. Tim doesn’t like the idea but is willing to go along because he wants to be a success in the corporation. On the way home from work Tim knocks a man down in his car. Barry Speck is the man in the accident. He is played by Steve Carell. The young audience at the cinema roared with laughter at the suggestive lines and the stupidity of Steve. I found him totally distasteful.

Barry works for the internal revenue but is so stupid that when he is knocked down he offers to pay Tim for damages. Barry has a hobby making dioramas with dead mice dressed in clothes.

Surprisingly enough this was the only creative part of the film. The dioramas were creative, and very artfully put together.

There was much slapstick comedy. The girlfriend thinks Tim is carrying on with another woman and she goes off with a bizarre artist. His pictures and his action are so gross and ridiculous.

Barry keeps creating problems for Tim. Needless to say the two become fast friends.

This comedy (?) is directed by Jay Roach. He is known for films Meet The Fockers and Austin Powers. I should have read that before I set out. In my opinion the film was a waste of time. My sense of humor appreciates wit and satire. I found this silly and offensive but then I don’t have a sense of humor.

No comments:

Post a Comment