Monday, February 22, 2010

Agostino

I have enjoyed an incredible week of dining out with superb food. The trend continues. Alex has been so busy practicing and promoting his new CD Convergence. His parents are in Antigua and I thought he might be craving a decent meal.

The problem is that many restaurants are not open for a Saturday lunch. It is understandable because Saturday evening is a tiring evening and the staff needs to prepare.

Alex and I remembered this establishment just a few years ago under different management. This was his first weekly gig and I had several dinners here.

The restaurant is now under the careful attention of Chef Pottruff. He did a great job. It was fun to be back in this restaurant and to recall listening to Alex play. Today I had the benefit of his company and we really enjoyed our lunch.

I thought this was a clever menu. It features Appetizers, Panini and Pasta for a Saturday lunch. I often think that too many restaurants offer too many choices and I question how a chef can prepare so many dishes. I also question the freshness of the produce. No such worries here.

Alex began with a Minestrone Soup.($6.00) It is a traditional Tuscany soup. The bowl was full of a steamy thick soup with a variety of vegetables. Alex really enjoyed this first course.

I was tempted with the Barbabietole e Caprino.($9.00) Roasted beets, goat cheese and frisee lettuce are lightly tossed with white balsamic vinegar.

Calamari Fritti offers lightly battered deep fried calamari.($10.00)

Several salads are available as well as two choices of soup.

Alex really enjoyed his Pescatore Panini.($12.50) I thought about having that myself. All sandwiches are served on artisanal ciabatta bread and are accompanied by soup or salad. Alex’s choice was a winning combination of house smoked salmon, red onion, camembert cheese, cucumber, tomato and dill. Yummy!

The Calabese is a thick panini with grilled zucchini, eggplant, roasted peppers and smoked mozzarella.($12.00) The Rapallo offers mixed greens, artichokes, tomatoes, roasted peppers and goat cheese.($12.00)

I was in a pasta mood and was very happy with my choice of Fusilli Agostino I was able to enjoy the dish with whole wheat pasta.($14.50) The spiral shaped pasta was infused with leeks, rapini and shrimp. It was totally flavorful and very light. A subtle blend of a little olive oil and cheese tossed with the pasta made for a delightful lunch time dish. The shrimp were large and moist.

Linguini al Sapori is a vegetarian delight of linguini lightly coated with extra virgin olive oil, basil cipoletta, capers and garlic with pomodoro concise.($!3.00)

This is a delightful restaurant. Our charming server was very helpful and totally efficient. The food was most enjoyable and it was totally a pleasurable experience.

Once again Alex and I enjoyed a fine meal in a very pleasant atmosphere.

There are always daily specials and different choices for the dinner menu. I found the prices to be very reasonable the restaurant is located centrally just a few blocks north of Eglinton.

No comments:

Post a Comment