Monday, February 1, 2010

The Host

I moved 2 days ago. It was a horrendous 12 hour experience. Even after the movers left at 8:30 p.m. I continued to work until 12:30a.m. What a task! Boxes and boxes and boxes. I didn’t want to ever see another painting, clothing hamper or filled box. My dear son and daughter-law- invested 3 days in helping me to hang pictures and re-arrange furniture. I couldn’t have done it without them. After a long day of hard labor I suggested Indian food just down the street.

I remember enjoying this restaurant when it was a French restaurant called Rendezvous. I always loved this special Yorkville location with several rooms fanning out from a long regal hall. My family loves Indian food but this was very special. The taste, the preparation and the service were superior. We were all exhausted and needed the good service and superb food to make us feel better. Alex even joined us after a long day of practicing his guitar.

Whenever we go as a family for Indian food we ask for 1 dish per person and then share it all. On this occasion they brought a superb appetizer. It was a deep fried mixture of varied vegetables. The sauce with it was superb. We also ordered a naan and steamed rice to go with our other choices. One dessert was enjoyed and at the end we were a tired but satiated family. Following this dining delight I was so anxious to get back to my lovely place decorated by my own children,

Kathy’s favorite is always Murgh Makhini This restaurant has won an award for this excellent butter chicken dish.($13.99) Tender pieces of chicken tikka are cooked in a creamy tomato sauce.

Alex’s choice was Lamb Roganjosh.($14.99) This is a delicacy from Kashmir. Lamb pieces are cooked with yogurt and onions with a rich flavor of saffron. Not a morsel was left at the end of the meal and w e loved every bite.

In my opinion the best dish of the house is the Prawn Peri Peri.($18.99)

The prawns are giant and cooked to perfection in a tomato and red masala curry. It was exotic and almost made me forget all the work ahead in the apartment. I always have to have an order of Saag. Pureed spinach is served with paneer. This is a classic dish from the north. It is creamy, flavorful and very healthy.($11.99)

Host is an elegant restaurant. There are choices in every category. The place was filled but not at all noisy. The service was exceptional. I loved the way we were greeted by the beautiful smile of the lovely lady in a sari. She seemed so delighted to know that we had all visited India. I may not go back to India soon as it is so far. I definitely plan to return to the Host very soon. It is now only 1 block from my new home.

We were still talking about that great meal the following day. Indian food is so full of a mélange of spices. The sauces are exotic. IT is a myth that all the dishes are hot. You always have a choice. Many are very mild but full of flavor with the blending of spices. This is Indian food at its best.

I am one happy camper. I have a family that has been outstanding in support and assistance. I have a neighborhood restaurant in trendy Yorkville that is so accessible and so delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment