Monday, February 1, 2010

Bar Mercurio

I am so enjoying meeting with friends at my new apartment. After the ‘viewing’ is such fun to walk to a neighborhood restaurant a block or two away. Last evening was brutally cold and Nadia and I were glad we had chosen a restaurant a short hop and skip from the apartment.

I have dined here for years and also enjoy the sister restaurant L’Espresso across the street.

At lunch time you place your order at the counter and are called when the food has been prepared. In the evening white cloths and candlelight transform this very authentic Italian restaurant. It is a family run business and you see evidence of the love and care given by the family to every little item. I love the soft jazz that always plays in the background.

This restaurant is always busy. You must have a reservation. My friend Nadia and I opted for 6:00 p.m. as she lives in Etobicoke and didn’t want a late ride home. Would you believe we had the last table available at such an early hour? The front bar was completely occupied with patrons. Most of the guests seemed to be well into their meal. It just kept getting busier as the evening went on. The servers are so well trained and manage to look after everyone’s needs and wants.

The bread was of excellent quality and taste and the white bean dip could have been my meal. Delicious!

We both ordered the Linguine Fruti De Mare.($26.00). Nadia had the full compliment of seafood. There was a lot of seafood and variety. The linguine was perfectly al dente and the sauce was obviously home made and delicious.

My only complaint of the evening was that I ordered the same dish with only shrimp. I didn’t want the other seafood. I was told I could have 1 shrimp and would have to pay for any more. Considering the amount of seafood in the original dish this seemed a little ‘cheesy’ to me. I do admit the shrimp were large and fantastic.

Many patrons around us were enjoying the Pizzas. They have a thin crust and are excellent.

Years ago my grandson was attending UTS across the road. Every Wednesday I would meet him for lunch and we would go to Bar Mercurio. It got so that they knew he was coming and would have his Pizza Marguerita ready for him. The pizzas are superb.

The salads are crisp and fresh. Often the salads are topped with a generous slice of fresh parmagiano cheese.

There was a special menu for the day. Red Snapper was the suggested fish. The regular menu offers a variety of choices. The pasta is always excellent and there are many choices. The patrons beside us were enjoying a large Veal Chop.

Nadia and I were celebrating my new apartment and the fact that the deal for my condo was settled on this day. We ordered a Lemon Tart for dessert.($8.00) It is a good thing we shared because I could have eaten the whole thing on my own.

The noise level does increase as the evening proceeds. The food is always good and the friendly service is appreciated.

Nadia and I had a great evening but then we always do. She and I met at my second teaching assignment at Gladstone School. I laugh when I think of the outrageous things we did while still being excellent teachers. We still have great times together.

No comments:

Post a Comment