Monday, February 22, 2010

La Veranda Osteria

I don’t know what I did to deserve being a guest of my friend Lorraine. I enjoy her company and we have been trying to get together for a long while. She is one busy lady. I was thrilled when she suggested this restaurant because I had heard about it and have wanted to go for a meal. No matter that it is in Etobicoke. I took a subway and literally crossed the street at the Royal York subway stop.

This is one fine restaurant. There is a feeling of large space but warmly decorated. The manager and in fact all the staff were very welcoming. This is a ‘classy’ spot but you can feel comfortable and relaxed. The place was filled for lunch.

The Express Lunch is the best value I have ever encountered. An appetizer and main course are $10.95. It is worth going by bus, train, plane or camel to have this wonderful experience. I can’t believe the value. Even better, every bite was a treat for the palate. Delicious! Gourmet!

The basket of bread was filled with rolls and a variety of good quality bread.

Lorraine began with the Antipasto alla Veranda. The plate was a composition of marinated vegetables. It was beautifully displayed. It was sufficient for a complete lunch. Mushrooms, zucchini, eggplant and red pepper were just a few of the vegetables that graced the plate. I opted for the Red Pepper Soup. It was creamy (without using cream) and so delicious. The large white bowl was such a contrast to the red color of this pureed delicious soup.

We might have chosen Caesar Salad, Greek Salad or Mixed Baby Greens as a first course option.

Lorraine opted for the Chicken Piccata served with veggies, potatoes or penne in tomato sauce. The chicken was prepared in a lemon and white wine sauce. Veal Piccata is also an option. Penne Primavera is served with eggplant, zucchini, broccoli, carrots, and asparagus, served with olive oil and garlic.

I chose the Fresh Filet of Salmon. The fish was so delicious and was nestled in a white wine lemon sauce. I wanted to lick the plate. The roasted potatoes were scrumptious. Cauliflower and carrots were also perfectly cooked and absolutely delicious.

You have so many options. Pizza with a choice of 2 toppings is a possibility. Grilled Chicken Breast is served with potatoes, veggies and a homemade tomato sauce.

How can anyone eat so well for so little? The answer to the first part is that the food is so excellent.

The room is bright and airy. The service is outstanding. The food was remarkable.

Lunch a La Carte is also available. I understand this is a busy place in the evening. Make a reservation. I don’t care how you get there. This restaurant is a must.

I count my blessings daily. Thank you Lorraine for being my host and thank you so much for introducing me to La Veranda Osteria. The sun even came out and it felt as if we were on a veranda enjoying our spectacular lunch.

I had a big smile on my face as I red the red rocket back home. It was also comical that Lorraine and I realized that it will be May before we can get together again. We are both traveling and will have a lot to chat about when we finally do meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment