Monday, June 4, 2012

Charles Inn

Charles Inn 209 Queen St Niagara On The Lake 1-905 468 4588 An outing at the Shaw Festival requires fine dining to complete the package. I have always loved this quiet inn at the end of the main street beside the golf course. There are 12 lovely rooms for a stay over with a continental breakfast. The dining room is old Victorian and beautifully outfitted. The food has always been superb. I have had lunch on the back porch as well as in the fine dining room. I have enjoyed a superb gourmet dinner here before going to a show, I was anxious to have a new experience at an old venue. I haven’t been in a few years and I suspect there are new owners. There are tables outside in the garden for lunch, drinks or afternoon tea. We sat on a porch that has been added to the front of the inn. It is the quiet end of town and the large white house with the yellow umbrellas in front makes a serene statement. The food was good but I was a little miffed with the service. I felt that the greeting was a touch haughty. The service was unbearable slow. We had a play to attend and had advised the server. We finally had to get up and ask someone to take our order. The water was slow in being delivered Now that I have expressed my problems I must add the food was wonderful. The environment was quiet and regal. The server was most attentive at bill time. My friend ordered an 8 oz. Beef Tenderloin Burger.($14.00) The server was a little arrogant when she asked him to cook it thoroughly. When it arrived she was delighted with the taste and quality. The onion bun was delicious. A small tray with condiments was placed on the table. I ordered the Roasted Beet Salad.($9.00) The greens were fresh and crisp. A few beets were at the bottom of the plate and a little goat cheese was placed on top. The vinaigrette was superb. The serving size was a little small but I had already planned to have a gelato on my way to the theatre. I was tempted with the Trio of Canadian Cheeses. ($12.00) House made chutney is served with grapes and baguette crostinis. You are able to make a selection of your cheeses. Our server raved about the Roasted Leg of Chanteclaire Rouge served with celeriac risotto cake on baby spinach. ($15.00) Apparently it is a house special. I adore macaroni and cheese and was also very tempted with the offering of Maitake Parmesan & Truffle ‘Mac & cheese.’ Herbed panko crumbs are on top of a creamy dish of elbow macaroni, parmesan cream, caramelized onions and baby spinach.($15.00) This is a classic inn with delightful food. I just wish they would try a little harder in the ‘friendly department’. We noticed that many of the restaurants in town have been renovated and updated. Charles Inn has a lot of competition. With a little more effort they could be ‘the top of the line.’ I was just grateful I was with a friend who is flexible and willing to try anything. She even forgave me for the bad play we saw. That was a lot of driving on her part for mediocre activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment