Sunday, June 17, 2012

The Intouchables

The Intouchables Where have I been hiding? How could I have missed this excellent film? I was on my way to the latest Cronenberg film. I bumped into two different sets of friends in a coffee shop. Both asked me if I was going to see The Intouchables. I declared my ignorance but honored their recommendation. I changed my plans. What a delightful thought provoking film. Phillipe is paralyzed from the neck down. He is very wealthy and able to afford a lot of help. He is a gentle lovely man. He is in need of a caregiver. Dris is a large sized black man out of work. In fact he wants to stay that way. Even his mother has given up on him and kicked him out of the house. He goes for an interview for the job but only wants papers signed that he is not suitable for the job so he can keep getting welfare. The whole interview process with a series of men is quite humorous. He does end up taking the job and changing Phillipe’s life. It was fascinating to see how the two got along. In fact they both helped one another. Dris became a caring person thinking of Phillpe and his welfare. He took him places and talked to him in a straightforward manner. He gave him dignity but did not spoil him. His interaction with the rest of the staff was very funny. At the same time the character development made for a good story. The differences in class and color provided humor and power to the story, The plot kept my interest throughout. It was based on a true story. How interesting to see what happened to both characters.e shows him the joys of life. He makes Phillipe feel like a man and encourages him to . He takes him to the sea. he dines out with him. He even encourages him to meet a young lady he had

No comments:

Post a Comment