Sunday, June 24, 2012

Restaurant Giardino

Restaurant Giardino in the Gate House Hotel 142 Queen St at Niagara on the Lake 905 468 3263 Niagara on the Lake is one of the most charming towns in Ontario. I love to enjoy a gourmet meal and then attend a performance in town. For many years I had gone to a small inn across the road and was well served. This year I was so disappointed with my visit I decided to reach out for a new experience. I have always admired the graceful manse on this large property. It is a hotel with lovely gardens. The inside dining room was elegant and beautifully appointed. We opted for the front terrace under an umbrella. What a fine choice! Nick was our server and looked after us with warmth and expertise. It’s great to try something new and have it a positive experience. We were grateful for our elegant lunch because the play was so terrible. We left at intermission and decided to shop instead. That was a more positive experience. The little boutiques are a delight. My traveling companion began with an Insalate di Mara.($10.00) The cold seafood salad was composed of shrimp, calamari, and baby scallops tossed in lemon vinaigrette. The menu didn’t list the arugula but it was obvious on the plate and added a balance to the flavors. I ordered the Insalata alla Cesare with Jumbo Tiger Shrimp. The homemade Caesar dressing was absolutely mouth watering delicious. Balsamic croutons and grated parmesan cheese complimented the flavors. The salad is priced at $10.00. With the shrimp it was $18.00 and well worth the price. The shrimp were firm and so flavorful. The salad was crisp and tasty. I enjoyed every bite. I was only afraid that with a little red wine and all this great food I would fall asleep at the play. I wish I had because the performances were so bad. My friend ordered the Rigatoni alla Bolognese for her main course. The home made pasta was served with a meat sauce also freshly prepared. Apparently it was an old recipe from Bologna. ($14.00) The Canelloni Nettuno was a tempting choice with shrimp, baby scallops and salmon enclosed in an oven roasted crepe. A rose Bechale Sauce topped with Swiss cheese completes this gourmet experience. All pasta dishes are $14.00. I almost ordered the Salmone alle erbe di Campo. The herb crusted Salmon is oven roasted and served with a dill butter sauce.($15.00) I am coming back to try this dish. All of the lunch entrees are served with vegetables and potatoes. Scaloppini di Vitello all’ Argois is prepared with tender veal scaloppini sautéed in lemon with a baby caper sauce served on a bed of spinach in a white wine butter.($18.00) Several Pizza suggestions are listed on the menu. Diavola is prepared with fresh tomato sauce, Mozzarella, Calabrese salami and mushrooms. All pizzas are $15.00 4 Stagioni would be my choice. Fresh tomato sauce, Mozarella, mushrooms, black olives, artichoke and pepperoni sound mouth watering delicious. We thought the menu was varied and interesting. The ambiance was cerebral. Every morsel was satisfying. After the drive from Toronto we were so delighted to relax outside under the umbrella and satiate ourselves with fine wine and great food. How exciting to discover a new ‘favorite spot.’

No comments:

Post a Comment